Wild game is so good that you really don’t want to go wasting any of it. That said, there are some cuts that are just a little bit harder to cook and get a good result with. So what do you do? Well we like to make our own mince and, can we just say, it is absolutely delicious. I don’t think we’d ever go past a good back strap but homemade mince has to come in at a pretty close second.
In this tutorial, you’ll see us first make our mince by cutting kangaroo meat (hunted while doing some crop protection) with pork fat (from our local butcher), and then using that mince to make our own sausages.
- 5 kg kangaroo meat
- 1 kg pork fat
- Natural casings
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 25-50g rock salt, or to taste
- Onion flakes
- 1-2 eggs
- Splash of ice water
- Grind meat with pork fat spread evenly throughout.
- Place sausage attachment, with casings, onto meat grinder. Note: if natural casings are used, make sure to rinse the casings inside and out in water before placing on sausage attachment. This will remove the saltiness from the brine the casings are stored in.
- In a bench top mixer, combine mince, seasoning and egg.
- Mix until a paste-like consistency is achieved, add splash of water if needed.
- Place meat back into grinder with sausage attachment.
- Pull approx. 3-4 inches of casing off the attachment and tie a knot in the end. This will be the beginning of the first sausage.
- Slowly feed meat into the casings, making sure not to overfill them.
- Leave approx. 4-5 inches of casing once all meat is fed through.
- Twist sausages into desired lengths.
- Tie end off.
Help us keep hunting alive
I Am Hunter has a passion to keep hunting alive. We use education and advocacy to demonstrate the positive benefits of ethical, fair-chase hunting to all society, not just hunters.
We can provide this content free to the public thanks to the generous support of our awesome members.
For less than 50c a day, members help support the fight to keep hunting alive by spreading a positive message about hunting to the wider community. In return, members get access to exclusive member rewards.